Snakes of Arizona

Venomous Snakes

Non-Venomous Snakes

Facts about Snakes:

*Arizona is home to 13 species of Rattlesnakes, far more than all other states!
*84% of snakes in America are harmless, with the other 16% being venomous!
*There are 20 families of Snakes in the world, 5 of which reside in America!

1. Colubridae (Colubrids) - 79% Harmless, solid-toothed and rear-fanged. Largest diverse group of snakes in the world.

2. Viperidae (Vipers) - 14% Venomous species with long front fangs such as Rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and copperheads. 

Outside of the US: 

Tropical Rattlesnake (Crotalus durissus) - South America 

3. Elapidae (Elapids) - 3% Venomous - Seasnakes and Coral Snakes.

Outside of the US: 

King Cobra - Asia 

Tiger Snake - Australia

4. Boidae - 2% Harmless and primitive - Boas)

5. Leptotyphlopidae - 2% (primitive and harmless - Threadsnakes)

*Arizona and California are the only 2 states that are home to all 5 snake families!
*Prey Consumption Tactics

1. Egg Eaters - 2%(leaf-nosed snake)

2. Constriction - 29% (kingnsake, gophersnake etc)

3. Envenomate - 23% (Rattlesnakes)

4. Mild envenomation through chewing and direct swallow - 14% (Nightsnake, coral snake, lyresnake, etc.)

5. Direct Swallow - 32% (ring-necked snake, whipsnake, coachwhip)

*Snakes General Food Sources

1. Vertebrates - 75% of snakes 

2. Invertebrates - 25% of snakes

*Invertebrate based diet  food-sources

1. Crayfish - 10%

2. Termites & Ants - 8%

3. Centipedes & beetle grubs - 18%

4. Insectes, Spiders, Scorpions, etc. - 27%

5. Earthworms, slugs, & leeches - 37%

*Vertebrae based diet food-sources

1. Reptile eggs - 3%

2. Lizards and small rodents - 5%

3. Other snakes - 6%

4. Fish - 10%

5. Lizards - 21%

6. Amphibians - 22%

7. Rodents and small mammals - 33%

Diamondback Wildlife Control, LLC

520-561-1355

Service@diamondbackwildlife.com

P.O. Box 91934

Tucson, AZ 85752

AZ Game & fish License #sp645318

My Account

diamondback%20snake%202_edited.png

Keeping them Wild!

  • Next-door
  • HOME ADVISOR
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Instagram
  • Facebook